To contribute in a position of high responsibility for a progressive technically innovative company which can utilize a highly motivated professional with leading edge experience in automated manufacturing.
M.S. Flexible Manufacturing Systems and Robotics, Loughborough University, England. 1986 - 1987
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Sunderland University, England. 1983 - 1986
HTC (US equiv. A.S.) Mechanical and Production Engineering, Leeds Metropolitan University, England. 1978 - 1983
ACDI [Electronics Manufacturing Services, Frederick, MD, USA] 2011 to Present
MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING (2011 - Present)
- SMT engineering - Machine programs, Stencil design, Quoting etc
- DFM, Flowlines, Lean, 5S etc
BAE Systems [Aerospace Contractor, Manassas, VA, USA] 2008 - 2011
Contractor MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (2008 - 2011)
- Established new process for new SMT line to build high reliability low volume space flight circuit cards. Leading the development of transition from total hand assembly to automated assembly of all PCB manufacturing including SMT placement, soldering, chip bonding and inspection.
GE Aviation (Smiths Aerospace) [Aerospace Contractor, Germantown, MD, USA] 2004 to 2008
MANAGER, MANUFACTURING PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (2004 to 2008)
- Acted as a liaison between Manufacturing and Engineering Design to ensure that Unit Level Product and Printed Circuit Cards are designed with producability characteristics that produce high quality and low cost products.
- Developed DFM and DFT process for both internal and outsourcing assembly.
- Contributed to the CCA Outsourcing Team that was cross-functional and multi-site that developed and executed a plan to select CCA outsourcing suppliers.
- Contributed to the CCA Supply Chain Outsourcing Team that was cross-functional and multi-site that developed and executed a plan to select CCA outsourcing suppliers.
- Managed cross-functional technical interface teams between CCA supplier and internal departments.
- Lead member of the CCA transfer team where over 70 CCA part numbers were transferred from in house assembly to an outsourcing supplier with minimal impact on customer deliveries.
Linsang Manufacturing [Electronics Manufacturing Services, Beltsville, MD, USA] 2000 to Present
MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING MANAGER (2000 - Present)
- Established a new $7 million EMS facility comprising of 140,000 sq ft. Including procuring, installing, staffing and running a state of the art $3 million fully automated SMT line capable of handling 35000CPH with expansion plans for 4 similar lines with a total capacity of 150000CPH.
- Assisted in the procurement and set up of a $1 million fiber optics splicing and test facility within a class 10,000 clean room environment.
EIT [SMT Contract Assembly, Sterling, VA, USA] 1996 - 1998
MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING MANAGER (1996 - 1998)
- Responsible for the Manufacturing Engineering Department reporting to the VP Operation providing customer support, manufacturing support and training, process implementation, product design and review and documentation and control - with particular emphasis on SMT and automated manufacturing.
- Selected and installed new $1 million SMT placement line to satisfy new company strategy of 30% annual growth. To help accomplish this goal I was directly involved with the following projects: Floor stock program (inventory reduction), SPC programs, ISO 9000 program, Corrective action system, Selection and procurement of CAM software, SMT and auto through hole insertion machine scheduling and capacity planning, BGA placement and No Clean solder introduction.
Eurotherm Circuits [SMT Contract Assembly, Chantilly, VA, USA] 1988 - 1996
ENGINEERING MANAGER (1992 - 1996)
- Responsible for engineering department reporting directly to the President providing customer support, manufacturing support and training, process implementation, product design and review and documentation and control.
- Developed company marketing strategy for finding, selecting and developing new customers.
- Administered successful implementation of ISO 9000 quality system and provide support for continuous improvement.
- Completed company transition from harmful ozone depleting cleaning chemicals to a "no clean" assembly process in compliance with federal regulations.
- Successfully implemented SPC on surface mount placement, screen printing and wave solder processes and established a defect data gathering system allowing process and product design enhancements.
- Purchased a new $1½ million high speed surface mount placement line to increase technical capabilities and capacity.
- Member of international group wide development team for a new product range with specific responsibilities for designing and developing the manufacturing requirements.
- Established overall company plans to introduce new technologies such as alternatives to HASL PCB's, BGA's, buried capacitance PCB's and alternatives to screen printing.
- Implemented Kanban material flow production system through out the whole facility.
SENIOR MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (1990 - 1992)
- Developed up front engineering which: provides customers with design for manufacture and test support on all products; designs and develops surface mount and through hole footprints and PCB design layout rules; completed an extensive design guideline manual and reviews customers product designs during all stages of development.
- Selected and developed a "working partnership" with the bare PCB fabricators. Developed PCB fabrication acceptability standards and provided technical and costing assistance for PCB procurement.
- Coordinated fine pitch development program allowing the company to provide higher technologies to its customers. Designed fine pitch test board for footprint design and process adjustment experiments.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (1988 - 1990)
- Selected, procured and set up machines for a through hole preform area and for an automated through hole axial insertion cell. Provided maintenance and operator training and developed off line programming and machine optimization for the cell.
- Responsible for the design and development of standard assembly PCB panels and all tooling required for PCB assembly. Produced all drawings and documentation for PCB procurement and assembly tooling.
- Developed assembly pictorials used by manufacturing personnel to instruct how each PCB is assembled.
Radian Inc. [DOD Contractor, Alexandria, VA, USA] 1987 - 1988
DESIGN ENGINEER (1987 - 1988)
- Developed new and modified current designs of HVAC systems used on military vehicles for the US army using geometric tolerancing to DOD and MIL standards.
- Assigned to a special project team designing a temperature controlled rail car used to transport military missiles.
Royal Ordnance Factory [Defence Establishment Manufacturing Military Vehicles, Leeds, England] 1978 - 1983
FITTER ON FINAL PRODUCTION LINE (1982 - 1983)
- Worked as a skilled shop floor fitter on a final production assembly line building military tanks.
TECHNICIANS APPRENTICE (1978 - 1982)
- Completed a four year technician's apprenticeship. Comprising of one year basic training followed by 3 - 5 month training blocks covering milling, turning, grinding, welding, tool room skills and maintenance. Completed six month training block in the design drawing office working on MOD standard drawings.
- Successfully completed training blocks which gave special emphasis on computer aided manufacturing such as CAD, CNC programming, CNC milling and CNC turning.
Available upon request.